Thursday, October 27, 2005

My soul is tired and my hearts aches.

I have worked for 32 years to bring about Equality for all people – men, women, children, blacks, and especially the GLBT community.

I am a 46-year-old gay male who came out at the age of 15 in a small North Carolina town. When I was 26, I marched with Pride down Hillsborough Street in Raleigh with my friends and with strangers letting the world know I was gay, proud and worthy of respect and love. The following year when North Carolina had it’s first organized state wide Pride Parade my mother walked with me and cried as she told me how much she loved me. I have marched in Pride Parades in 6 states as an adult. I have marched in more parades than I ever watched because I thought it vital to be involved. I have done sit ins at Jessie Helms’ office, Pink Flu Days in California when Domestic Partnership laws were vetoed and worked my ass off campaigning against hate crimes, discrimination, and begging for benefits.

In the past few years, I watched as many states have passed constitutional amendments to change their bill of rights to make the GLBT community second class citizens for all time. I watched as a President of the United States broke his oath of office to protect the constitution by asking Congress to pass an amendment to ban “gay” marriage in the United States Constitution. The few highlights have been legalization of marriage for all in Massachusetts, Civil Unions in New Hampshire, and the legalization of gay marriage in several countries.

Hate crimes go up as national leaders and religious leaders spread their “moral” view that we are evil and an abomination to the lord. But please don’t get them wrong, they are not homophobic. They are doing this to protect the world, the sanctity of marriage, and their children from us. We are okay as long as we stay hidden and don’t ask for equal protection under the law. Laws protecting rights are being done away with, displays, books and even cartoons about gay families are being removed from public libraries, and hatred, fear and lies are being spread. I watch in shock and dismay as Gay Rights look to be a thing of the past in the Land of the Free. I have worked so damn hard for what we have achieved and cry in frustration as it seems to fade into a memory of happier times.

In Texas, we are fighting Constitutional Amendment 2. You can read the bill your self at www.nononsenseinnovember.com or at www.lrg.org. It basically says that marriage is between one man and one woman and that nothing similar or could be considered similar to marriage can be recognized in the state. I have been fighting the good fight as well as I can and as much as I can. Thanks to a car wreck in July I have not been able to do as much as I would have liked to do in this battle and battle it is.

Early voting has started in Texas. I am asking everyone who reads this to please call, email, write or message anyone you know who lives in Texas and ask them to get out and vote against this hate bill. We can stop this but we need everyone’s help.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home